Thursday, June 12, 2014

summer

I didn't realize how long it has been since I posted until I just logged in now.  I am happy to say that even though the blog has not been consistent, the training has.

With school coming to an end the month of May, I tried to maintain what I had built up as far as training.  May 11 and 12th I was in Key Largo for our annual 5th grade field trip.  During the week prior, I took my bike to work on the back of the jeep and drove to Cape Harbor as soon as I could get out of school.  Doing so, I was able to ride 40 miles consistently for 3 days in a row.  I could tell that I needed some time off.  The weekend in Key Largo was the time I took my rest from training but of course, not from kids.  Since then, I was able to coast though the remainder of the school year.

June:  I did (am doing) a lot of riding on the trainer.  At the end of May, there was a lot of late nights at school with moving my classroom and we had to tackle a lot of weather.  So I thought it was best to get the rides done on the trainer rather than not do them at all.  Summer started but we unfortunately had to deal with a family situation.  My mother in law passed away June 3rd.  It was difficult to focus on training that day and the days after.  I pushed through and once I returned back to FL after her funeral, I was right back at it.  I am riding 3 hours and swimming 2 miles.  Saturday I will swim iron distance and then on Sunday I will ride for 5 hours on the trainer.  I know that I am going to absolutely lose my mind but it will be worth it in the end.

I have been reading a lot about Great White Shark sightings off the coast of Sanibel.  I know these are protected species and they are very interesting to look at...from a tv screen.  It is a little too close for comfort to know they they are in our waters.  I can't swim in the G. of M. right now.  I just can't do it.  Two weeks ago while on my 70 mile bike ride (I felt great by the way) I saw the invasive species called a Monitor Lizard.  They can grow to be 5 feet long and can run 18 mph.  I saw it in a ditch along the bike path.  At first it looked like an alligator but the nose of it is much more pointed.  This is what I love about training outside.  There are so many things to see.

I have not been running on the street until the dreadful day of March 16th.  The good news is, all blisters have healed and my dead toenails have grown back.  The bad news, I haven't been running in the pool as much as I said that I would.  I hope that I have my fitness from swimming and biking so that come July 1, I will be ready to run and it not make me hate it since I will be starting from scratch.  Earlier this week the phone rang and I was in the other room.  I ran from one side of the house to the other not realizing that I still wasn't "running."  I had no issues.  I actually think it is time to get started.  I have to look at my calendar to see when the first day will be but I think my body has healed and I am ready.  It is amazing that my recovery from my myomectomy was faster than the recovery of the stress fracture of my foot.

Monday I picked up 4 garbage bags from the grocery store.  These are going to work as my makeshift gear bags for now.  I will begin to collect items to put in there now.  I have time now since I am not working to fill them with the items I need. 

That is it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment