Sunday, March 2, 2014

Hooters Half marathon

Thanks to Fort Myers Track Club who put on a great event.  They always have plenty of aide stations, a well-marked course, and many restroom facilities.

Today I raced a new PR of 2:06.

I've decided that if I could only fix this foot/torso/anatomy issue, I would be able to go faster more efficiently.  The left side of my body tends to rotate more when running.  This probably contributes to the tightness in my lower back, neck and shoulder.  I was told to see a physical therapist; not just a chiropractor.  I can't imagine completely changing my stride in a small amount of time until November.  I think it is impossible but what I must do is add more Yoga to my weekly routine.  We do paddle board a lot.  Can that count for building strength and balance?  I am not an expert in any of this...  I fight a blister on my left foot by my big toe when I run longer than 6 miles.  I wear double layer socks, use Slather and a friction block to help prevent the blisters but still teeter back and forth with pain, a hot spot, or a blister.  I can gut through a race but have a few days off for time to heal the wounds.  I have tried Mizunos, Brooks, Sauconys, Asics.  The list goes on and on.  Newtons seem to feel the best.  If I run in Newton Isaac S I have no blister but they are more of a trainer.  On race day I run in Newton Motion racers. If I change my stride and run more on my toes I can avoid the blister starter but I really have to think and stay focused.   When I wear the Newton Motions I run faster. Period.

Other than the hot spot on my foot, I felt great over all. I'm ready to take a break from so much running to focus on my biking and swimming.  I am ready to get on the bike tomorrow.