Monday, July 28, 2014

century rides and the Ohio trip


After completing two 100 mile rides, I feel much more confident for this event.  We have been getting up early to get a head start on the ride.  The alarm goes off around 5:30 but by the time we get out of bed, we are at least pedaling by 6:30.  It is amazing to see the sunrise and avoid the morning commute of people going to work. I have also been enjoying getting up early in the morning to begin the ride because it takes me about 6 hours to ride 100 miles and if I were to begin later in the morning, the day is pretty much over once we finish.  I can enjoy the evening if we want to go out to dinner with family/friends with a nap in between. 

At the moment I am averaging 16-16.5 mph at this distance.  The main issue has been battling an upset stomach around mile 60.  I try not to push myself at all during this distance.  I need to store energy for the marathon after.  I can’t pinpoint what is causing it but I can get through it after a few miles.  If I can continue to get through it, I can live with the nausea.  I am still using GU Roctane endurance powder on the bike for each 16 oz bottle I carry.  I am wondering if the FL heat, which causes the drink to heat up, is what is causing the nausea so this next ride I will keep 2 bottles on ice in a cooler and pick them up half way.  If that seems to take care of the problem, I will be happy.  Once we are in Cozumel in November the temperatures should be cool enough to not cause the problem. Also, I will have no place to store cold bottles.

As far as solid food and liquid nutrition, I am continuing to eat a Bonk Breaker bar and GU gel every 30 minutes/20 miles.  This does become annoying after mile 60-70.  I just don’t want to eat any more.  I continue to do so though because I will need it once I get on the run.  I did switch up and try a new gel because of the low fructose intake.  They are called V-tech or UCan.  I cannot remember the name.  I am typing this from 33,000 feet in the air as we travel home to Fort Myers so I have no way to look it up right now.  These particular gels are not right for me because I NEED the fructose/glucose (sugar) otherwise I have major problems with my hypoglycemia.  Lesson learned here, stick with what is working for me. 

It has been difficult to swim a lot this past week.  Our summer weather storms have not been cooperating.  Now our county has lightening detectors and when a storm is within 10 miles away the horn goes off and all have to immediately get out of the pool.  I believe my record for shortest distance was 3 laps (75 yards).  I don’t know if that is considered a PR or not…

We are traveling home from Columbus, OH.  I was able to run two times while there.  It was very enjoyable considering the low humidity and air temperatures.  Many locals were talking about how “hot and humid” the weather has been.  These people have no idea.  I think I accumulated enough sweat on my 5 mile run on Friday at Antram (sp) Park that is equivalent to the same amount of sweat that I would accumulate walking from my front door to my mailbox in FL in the summer. No exaggeration.  Saturday I ran from the Payne residence to a small town called Worthington.  This particular day was the farmers market.  Many vendors had various vegetable stalls, flowers for sale and other novelties.  Everything smelled delish.  It was difficult not to stop to look around.  I have a few pictures to include here;  one of me running at the park on Saturday, and a few of the historic spots in Worthington/Columbus, Ohio.  And of course, Newton Running.

Despite security removing my “Quaker Steak & Lube” sauce I planned on bringing home, my random “pat down” through security, the bird flying into the jet prior to our boarding and the drunk man who wasn’t permitted on the plane I would like to say that this is my rest day and I must take it as a way to relax to prepare for tomorrow’s 80-100 mile ride.  My coach has nicely altered the schedule so that I could range form 80-100 miles but I know how my mind works and I will want to get that 100 once again.  I have to continue to hydrate today and eat well tonight so that I can be successful.   

My ROKA elite swim skin arrived and I made the decision to go with the size medium for race day.  I NEED NEED NEED to get back and complete and Open Water Swim (OWS) before returning to school to try this out.  Why is it so traumatizing to think of what is swimming with me?  Note to self:  Do not watch “Shark Week” this season.



No comments:

Post a Comment